About the Origin of RCCG (The Redeemed Christian Church of God)
RCCG was founded in 1952 by Rev. Josiah Olufemi Akindayomi (1909–1980) after he had been involved in a number of other churches. Rev. Akindayomi chose Enoch Adeboye as the next General overseer. Enoch Adeboye was a lecturer in mathematics at the University of Lagos, Nigeria, as at the time he joined the church in 1973. Adeboye initially became one of the interpreters translating Akindayomi’s sermons from Yoruba to English. He was ordained a pastor of the church in 1975, and his appointment as leader(General overseer) of the church was formalized by the posthumous reading of Akindayomi’s sealed pronouncement. In 1990, Redeemed Christian Church of God Bible School is founded. Hit the play button above to watch now
The church commenced operation on the 27th day of February, 2000 with a total of 22 workers. The church was planted by Oasis Parish, in collaboration with Maranatha being the Area Headquarters of the church and major contributor of the total workforce.
The church “RCCG STRONGTOWER” commenced operation under a canopy at No. 3, Community Road, Akoka, in front of a derelict boy’s quarter and then moved to become an Area Headquarters in 2004.
There is a strong meaning to the name of the church “STRONGTOWER” which was named by God himself through a prophetic ministration. The church was initially named Sunshine Parish until the first ministration of the then Area Pastor, Pastor Ekahtor through a prophetic declaration of God’s presence in His Strong Tower. “A place of His Strength”. Since then, God has continually lifted the church from height to height using anointed men of God to raise new born parishes that have all grown to be pillars of the Redeemed Christian Church of God.
Parishes like Resurrection center, Garden of Grace, Jesus Embassy, Higher Ground, Kings Palace, Throne of Glory, The Lord’s Chambers, Mercy Assembly, Jesus Pavilion among others
In the bid to fulfil the mission & vision of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, there came the need for a property which led to the purchase of No. 12B, ST. Finbarrs Road Akoka. This was identified as God’s arrangement.
The land was purchased in 2006, and building couldn’t commence construction due to logistics reason until the foundation was launched in 2008 and anointed Elders from the redemption camp bless the dedication