THE PARABLE OF THE PRODIGAL SON: Digging Deep
Date: Tuesday, 06/09/2022
Peacher: Pastor Joshua Olaleye
Topic : THE PARABLE OF THE PRODIGAL SON
Introductory Text: Luke 15:11-32
The Parable of the Prodigal Son is a story about the grace of God to forgive sins, no matter what we have done. There are many lessons we can learn from all the characters in the parable. May God share His thoughts with us in Jesus name.
The word; ‘prodigal’ means spending with reckless abandon. It means being wasteful, self- indulgent, excessive, extravagant and irresponsible.
LESSONS FROM THE PARABLE OF THE PRODIGAL SON
1. Be careful what you ask for – The younger son asked for his inheritance. Lk 15:12; Deut 21:17; 1 Cor. 6:12.
2. Your location matters – He took his inheritance and left for a far country and wasted all on riotous living – Lk 15:13, 2 Cor 6:14,17, 1 Cor 15:33. it’s not his sowing that brought the harvest it’s where he sows. Matt 13:3-9
3. Pick your friends wisely – 1 Cor 15:33, Pro 19:4.
4. Sin degrades and brings humiliation – Lk 15:16.
5. Genuine repentance and restitution attracts God’s forgiveness.– Lk 15: 18-20, 22, 1 John 1:9, Lk 15:7
6. God rewards diligence and loyalty – Gal 6:9, Lk 15:31, Rev 22: 12
7. The church rejoices at the restoration of a backslidden Christian – Lk 15: 32
The parable of the Prodigal Son teaches God’s great love to forgive where there is genuine repentance and restitution. The Father rejoiced that the prodigal son came back home, and reassured the son who remained that his position was secure. In God’s house, there are always pictures of the younger son and the elder son. There is always room for both in the Father’s heart.