BIBLE TEXT: Acts 1:8
“But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in Judea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth”.
Jesus said He will give us power after our encounter with the Holy Ghost but the power is not for decoration or to make o name for ourselves or to prove a point but to witness.
WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE A WITNESS?
According to the Cambridge Dictionary: A Witness is someone who gives information in a court of law about a particular person or an event. To witness means to see, hear or know by personal presence and perception. It means to testify or give evidence. Therefore, Jesus calling us witnesses means that we are to tell others what we know about Him, tell the world about Hirn, His death, burial and resurrection. In simple term, a Witness is a testifier.
(A) WHO IS A WITNESS?
1. A witness is a confirmer or validator of a fact, evidence that something really happened. Genesis 21:30, Colossians 4:13, 2Corinthians 8:3
2. A witness must have an encounter with the person he or she is to witness about. John 15:27, 1Peter 5:1, 1John 1:1-4. John 12:17
3. For a fact to be established, one or more witnesses are required. Deuteronomy 17:6, Matt 18:16.
4. A witness bears testimonies of his or her own experiences and encounters. John 12:17, 1 Peter 5:1, John 4:28-29
5. Jesus is the Faithful and Great Witness. Revelation 1:5
6. A witness is an ambassador of what the person, he or she is witnessing about lived for. Acts 1:22
7. A witness is to deliver others from their problems. Proverbs 14:25
(B) WHO ARE WE WITNESSING ABOUT?
1. JESUS is the Person we are to witness about. Acts 1:8. We are witnessing about Jesus. You are a witness. Each and everyone of us has been given the mandate to witness, 1 John 1:1-3
2. You are His witness. Why? Because you have seen and heard about Him. Acts 22:14-15 (NLT)
3. The last instruction and command Jesus gave on earth was to GO, to TEACH, and to MAKE DISCIPLES. Matthew 28:18-20, Acts 1:8
4. We have been given the ministry of reconciliation.
2 Corinthians 5:18
5. We have been approved of God to be entrusted with the preaching of the gospel. The gospel has been entrusted into the hands of all believers and we must carry out this assignment dutifully. 1 Thess 2:4
We have a mandate from Jesus and that mandate is to witness about him from Jerusalem (our immediate environment) to the uttermost part of the world. However, we can’t effectively witness about Jesus without power. Hence we need the power to be a true supernatural witness.
1. Father, thank you for your Word
2. Father, make me a true witness of Jesus
3. Father, I receive the boldness to step out and witness